Sunday, March 4, 2012

Weekend of Inspiration

This weekend I attended a PR conference. And it was fantastic!

Professionals from across the country were there to talk to us about the different areas of PR and to offer advice.

There seemed to be a continual message that nearly every presenter stressed. They told us not to be afraid to fail and that school is the place to do so: take risks.



Social media was also a big part of the conference. Presentations encouraged live tweeting, not that we weren't doing that anyways. I realized that social media really is a critical part of the future so I need to know how use different platforms and stay caught up with current trends. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Google+, YouTube, just to name a few.

Experience is a big deal in the PR world. And I realized that I need more of it. So starting now, I am determined to become more involved and gain that experience that is so crucial.


It was interesting to hear from a couple different people that the days of searching 'help wanted' ads are over. We shouldn't send out resumes to a long list of potential employers. Instead, we should need to target a few companies that are particularly interesting and try to develop a connection through persistent contact. Be "ruthless."

Being able to know how to write in 140 characters or less is a necessary skill. Attention spans are getting shorter and people are going to be less willing to read entire press releases or lengthy articles. Instead, shorten the message into something that would easily fit into a tweet.



I am currently learning how to code websites which I think will be an added skill that will set me apart from other people in my field. I was talking to one of the girls from NY and she said that females are usually only do PR and guys do the tech stuff. But if I know how to do both PR and the tech side of it, I will just be that much more marketable to future employers.

I was truly inspired to reach for the stars and chase my dreams. There is so much I want to do with my life.

After this weekend, I am 110% sure that I am in the right major. I belong here. This is what I am meant to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips