Thursday, May 2, 2013

The post I didn't want to write

This is the post I have been avoiding. The one I didn't want to write because, sometimes, putting things into words makes it more real.

My life is currently in boxes and I'm not quite sure where anything is. I spent the day packing up the remaining knick-knacks around my room and chatting with roommates. No one wants to acknowledge the looming good-byes; the parting of ways.

I know I am going to leave a part of myself in Logan. This has been my home for the last three years. I have changed so much in that time and formed many friendships. In some ways, those friendships are stronger than any I've had before. There is something about living with someone that forms a special bond. You become accustomed to their quirks and over time you notice that you have even adopted some of their traits. You now use that catchphrase or do something a particular way. That person is someone you will never forget because they have changed you.

I know that I have gone through a deep and thorough change. I am so far from that freshman walking into the dorms for the first time. I have developed new talents and explored new things. I am in a major that I never dreamed of. My life is so different from where I imagined myself being at this point.

There is one thing I won't be leaving behind: memories. That is something I will always have. I know the move to Layton will be a difficult transition for me and that there will be times when I will miss everything and everyone I knew here. But I know I will look back on these years and smile at the times we had a sleepover in an abandoned warehouse or simply the many times we stayed up way too late talking about everything.

Despite all the stress and heartbreak that accompanies the college life, I know that I am leaving a better person than I was when I came.

So as I sit here reflecting on the last few years, I can't help but get a little teary-eyed.

It's been real, Logan. I'll see ya around.

xoxo,
sam

5 comments:

  1. My sister left USU about 15 years ago with the same feelings. She still gets together with her roommates/friends a few times a year for family play dates. I didn't have the same college experience but do have a couple of friends with those strong bonds. In fact, you know one of them very well. The cool thing is that the world is now wide open and many more adventures lie ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister left USU about 15 years ago with the same feelings. She still gets together with her roommates/friends a few times a year for family play dates. I didn't have the same college experience but do have a couple of friends with those strong bonds. In fact, you know one of them very well. The cool thing is that the world is now wide open and many more adventures lie ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on graduating, but it is such a bitter sweet moment. The good news is there's lots of amazing things that happen with your first job and new life. Best wishes, and you cry all you want- it's hard to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It made me cry. It's so sad. It really is. Yet change is inevitable. If you need anyone to talk to, hit me up girl! It's definitely a lot harder than most people realize.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really is SOOO true! I'm gonna miss you cute girl! But no worries! I'll be coming down to visit you soon! :) :)

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips