Thursday, April 28, 2011

The View From Up Here

I stood there staring at myself in the dressing room mirror.  The jeans I was trying on looked amazing!  I was excited to finally find the perfect pair after shopping for hours.  After I had spent hours searching countless stores and browsed the endless clothing racks I had finally found them: the hip-hugging jeans that not only made my butt look great but were actually long enough!

That's right.  I am one of those few supposedly lucky women to be 'blessed' with height and those long legs most women long for.  However, I am here to tell you that being tall is not as great as people may believe it is.  In elementary school I was the tall girl in the back row of class pictures, the girl who towered over the boys, the girl who always stood out.

Now that I have reached my adult height, I still wish I was shorter.  Just a few inches.  It is ridiculously hard to find pants that are long enough and don't make me look like a hippie from the 70's.  Pants aren't the only challenge, shopping for any kind of clothing is difficult.  Dresses and skirts become too short.  Shirts aren't long enough.  I usually have to settle for a bigger size but with the little bit of added length comes the bagginess of a too-large shirt.  Heels are a completely different issue!  Being tall already, why in the world would I want to add inches?!  But I do love heels.  But I don't particularly like the way they make me tower over everyone.  Guys don't necessarily want to date a girl who is taller than them, which makes dating difficult as well.  Gah!  Everything is made complicated by being so tall!

Of course, people are always jealous of my height.  They just don't understand why I don't like it.  I mean who wouldn't love being tall when you can reach things on the top shelf, right?  Oh, and I could be a model!  I don't know how many times I have heard that one.  Very few girls achieve model status and I just don't think that is in my future.  Believe me, if I could give you a few of my inches, I would.

Growing up, people would always say to wait until I got older and then I would embrace my height and love it.  Well I guess I am still waiting for that to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips